The Adyar Library and Research Centre (ALRC)
Language : English
The Adyar Library and Research Centre (ALRC) was founded in 1886 by Colonel Olcott with a small but valuable collection of the Founders' books. Today it is one of the well known oriental libraries in the world, dedicated to research and publication in the field of eastern civilization, philosophy and religion. It contains over 250,000 printed volumes and around 20,000 palm-leaf manuscripts from India, Sri Lanka, China, and other places, a few of which are kept on display for visitors. The printed books include rare indological publications in several languages and a fine collection of works on different religions, philosophies and cultures.
The Chinese Tripitakas, the Tibetan Kanjur and Tanjur, a collection of rare works in Latin and other western languages, and a complete set of important research journals are among the priceless possessions of the Library. It also currently receives nearly 225 journals from several countries.
Digitization of books and manuscripts started in 2016 and is ongoing. Digitized manuscripts are meant only for use by research scholars who come to the Adyar Library in person, identify themselves and their purpose.