A Filmography of Norodom Sihanouk
by Angkor Database
The complete filmography (and partial discography) of Cambodia's "the King-Filmmaker".
Publication: Reference Document FILM2
Published: October 2022
Languages : English, French, Khmer
- Tarzan Among the Kuoy. c. 1940. Producer, director, scriptwriter.
- Double Crime on the Maginot Line. c. 1943. Producer, director, scriptwriter.
- Apsara អប្សរា. 1966. Producer and director. First feature movie.
- The Enchanted Forest (La forêt enchantée). 1966-7. Producer, director, scriptwriter, actor.
- The Little Prince (Le Petit prince, ព្រះប្រជាកុមារ). 1967 Producer, director, scriptwriter. Golden Apsara Award at the 1968 Phnom Penh International Film Festival.
- Shadows Over Angkor (Ombre sur Angkor, ស្រមោលលើអង្គរ).1968. Producer, director, scriptwriter, actor.
- The Joy of Life (La Joie de Vivre, រឿង រស់ដោយសប្បាយ). 1968. Producer, director, scriptwriter.
- Twilight (Crépuscule សន្ធិប្រកាស). 1969. Producer, director, scriptwriter, actor. Golden Apsara Award at the 1969 Phnom Penh International Film Festival.
- Tragic Fate (Tragique destin, ជោគវាសនាសោកនាដកម្ម). 1969. Producer, director, scriptwriter.
- Rose of Bokor (Rose de Bokor, ផ្កាកុលាបបូកគោ). 1969. Producer, director, scriptwriter, actor, musical score. Editing and sound in the D.P.R. of Korea. (1)
- The Mysterious City (La cité mystérieuse). 1988. Director, scriptwriter. Filmed in North Korea.
- Goodbye, My Love (Adieu mon amour). 1988. Director, scriptwriter. Filmed in the D.P.R. of Korea.
- The Countess of Norkorom La comtesse de Nokorom. 1989. Director, scriptwriter. Filmed in North Korea.
- I Shall Never See You Again, Oh My Beloved Kampuchea! (Je ne te reverrai plus, ô mon bien-aimé Kampuchea!). 1991. Director, scriptwriter. Filmed in North Korea.
- The Beacon That Lights Our Way (Le phare qui éclaire notre voie). 1991. Director, scriptwriter.
- My Village at Sunset (Mon village au coucher du soleil).1992. Producer, director, scriptwriter. Prix Special at the Saint Petersburg Festival 1992.
- The Champa Flower of Battambang (La fleur Champa de Battambang). 1992. Producer, director, scriptwriter.
- The Phantom of My Beloved Wife (Le fantôme de ma femme bien-aimée). 1993. Producer, director, scriptwriter.
- A Croesus Saviour of Poor Women (Un Cresus sauveteur de femmes pauvres). 1993. Producer, director, scriptwriter.
- The Four Elements (Les quatres éléments).1993. Director. Ballet film.
- See Angkor and Die (Revoir Angkor et mourir). 1993, 81 min [with San Chariya,Roland Eng Mam Kanika Sina Than. The title comes from one of King Sihanouk's book]. Producer, director, scriptwriter.
- Fatality (Fatalité). 1994. Producer, director, scriptwriter.
- Farmers in Distress (Un paysan et une paysanne en détresse). 1994. Producer, director, scriptwriter.
- Khmer Robin Hood (Robin des Bois Khmer). 1994. Producer, director, scriptwriter.
- Nostalgia for China (Nostalgie de la Chine). 1995. Producer, director, scriptwriter.
- An Ambition Reduced to Ashes (Une ambition réduite en cendres). 1995. Producer, director, scriptwriter.
- Buddha, Dharma, Sangha, The Sole Refuge (Bouddha, Dharma, Sangha le seul refuge). 1995. Producer, director, scriptwriter.
- The Last Days of Colonel Savath (Les derniers jours du Colonel Savath). 1995. Producer, director, scriptwriter.
- An Apostle of Non-Violence (Un apôtre de la non-violence). 1997. Director, scriptwriter.
- The Lake of Happiness (2005). Producer, director.
- The Khmer Cid (Le Cid Khmer). 2005. Producer, director, scriptwriter, subtitle author. Last released movie.
- Commander of the Royal Order of Koh Daung. 2006. Producer, director.
- Four Wives Are Not Such Fun. 2006. Producer, director.
- Who Doesn't Have a Mistress? (2) 2006. 00:12:46. Producer, director.
- Miss Asina. 2006 Producer. Last movie.
"I beg Your Majesties not to annex Kampuchea Krom": a Khmer princess pleads with the Vietnamese sovereigns in Je ne te reverrai plus... (screen capture).
- Cambodge-Kampuchea 1965 (1965)
- Cortège Royal (1969)
Songs, Musical Scores
- Regret (1965).
- Monica (1966).
- Monica (2002); this version is even more powerful and moving thanks to the radiant presence of star singer Khemarak Srey Peu, who prematuraly passed away in 2018.
- Score for La foret enchantée (1966).
- Chérie (1967).8
- Amour sans espoir (Hopeless Love) (1968, performed by the late King in 2006).
- Nostalgia for China ស្រណោះប្រទេសចិន (2006, performed by the late King). Subtitles in Khmer, Chinese, English.
- Music and Songs composed by HM Norodom Sihanouk performed for his birthday (2009).
- Goodbye, Cambodia លាហើយកម្ពុជា។ (2009, performed by the late King).
Gala concert for King Norodom Sihanouk Centennial Anniversary, 6-7 Nov. 2022, Chaktomuk Theater, Phnom Penh (photo ADB)
Documentaries About Norodom Sihanouk as a Filmmaker
- Norodom Sihanouk, Roi Cinéaste (1997, FR/ENG/KH), directed by Jean-Baptiste Martin, presented by Frédéric Mitterrand.
- An Official Biography of HM Norodom Sihanouk (nd), a Khemara Pictures production. Part I and II.
- The Nine Lives of Norodom Sihanouk (Les neuf vies de Norodom Sihanouk) (2008, FR/ENG), directed by Gilles Cayatte. [Harshly critical and often biased documentary on King Sihanouk's political career].
- The Curious History of Cambodia's Beloved Kings (2021), a Real Royalty-Off the Fence production.
(1) See Rose de Bokor original synopsis and cast (courtesy of Ambassador Julio Jeldres and Anicca Foundation).
(2) According to the lore of Cambodian cultural circles, the idea of this short movie was given to King Sihanouk in March 2006, when the affair between his son Prince Norodom Ranariddh and famed classical Khmer dancer Ouk Phalla triggered a national controversy. Princess Norodom Vacheara, who thought these matters should not be part of the public debate, dismissed the outcry with the remark: “Who does not have a mistress?”. The King-Father liked this bon mot so much that he instructed his then-secretary, Prince Sisowath Thomico, to broach a script on the theme of mistresses. Ten years later, when the film was released, Prince Thomico reportedly commented: "“The purpose of the movie is to say that every Cambodian has a mistress…no fuss should be made about having a mistress in Cambodia, that is a very natural thing.” Note that another princess, Princess Sisowath Kalyan Devi, played the main female character.
The brochure on Rose de Bokor issued by Anicca Foundation in 2019 (photo DR)
Prince Sihanouk and Princess Monineath in Twilight (screen capture)
Main photo: Poster for Norodom Sihanouk, Roi Cinéaste (1997).
Note 1: Many of Norodom Sihanouk's films are now available online thanks to Khemara Pictures, the production company set by the King Father and later headed by then Prince Norodom Sihamoni in the 1980s, to the Mietophoum Khmer Spirit Center and to Monash University Repository Department, Melbourne, Australia.
Note 2: The Cambodia Film Commission (CFC) is currently (2023) developing a Cambodia Film Database in collaboration with Bophana Audiovisual Resources Center, ARPAA and AFD.
Tags: cinema, movies, King Norodom Sihanouk, 1960s, Cambodian Royal Family, King Norodom Sihanouk Centennial Anniversary, music
About the Author
Angkor Database - មូលដ្ឋានទិន្នន័យអង្គរ - 吴哥数据库
All you want to know about Angkor and the Ancient Khmer civilization, how it keeps attracting worldwide attention and permeates modern Cambodia.
Indexed and reviewed books, online documentation, photo and film collections, enriched authors' biographies, searchable publications.
ជាអ្វីគ្រប់យ៉ាងដែលអ្នកទាំងអស់គ្នាចង់ដឹងអំពីអង្គរ, អរិយធម៌ខ្មែរពីបុរាណ, និងមូលហេតុអ្វីដែលធ្វើឲ្យមានការទាក់ទាញចាប់អារម្មណ៍ពីទូទាំងពិភពលោកបូករួមទាំងប្រទេសកម្ពុជានាសម័យឥឡូវនេះផងដែរ។
Our resources include the on-site Library at Templation Angkor Resort, Siem Reap, Cambodia, with exclusive access for the resort's guests. Non-staying visitors can ask for a daily pass here.